CIC in Göttweig: Regina Coeli by W. A. Mozart

Impressions from the CIC Concert at Göttweig Abbey

Finale Highlight Concert: CSUSB & MMC perform at Iglesia de Santo Tomè in Toledo on June 30 at 8 pm

Incantato Tours proudly presents CSUSB & MMC from California at Iglesia de Santo Tomè in Toledo on June 30 at 8 pm. The church dates from the 12th century, although it was completely rebuilt in the early 14th century by the Count of Orgaz. The tower is one of the best examples of the Mudéjar art characteristic of Toledo. The two upper sections are made of brick, with two groups of two and three windows with pointed horseshoe arches scalloped with other lobed arches. The interior is home to one of El Greco’s most famous paintings, the Burial of the Count of Orgaz, which is on display in a special room. For more info (in Spanish), click here.

The Cornelia Connelly School Advanced Women’s Ensemble and Handbell Ensemble perform at Warwick Castle on June 30 at 7 pm

On Wednesday, June 30 at 7 pm, Warwick Castle is the performance venue for the travelers of Cornelia Connelly.
The castle sits on a cliff overlooking a bend in the River Avon. It was built by William the Conqueror in 1068 within or adjacent to the Anglo-Saxon burh of Warwick. It was used as a fortification until the early 17th century, when Sir Fulke Greville converted it to a country house. It was owned by the Greville family, who became earls of Warwick in 1759, until 1978. From 1088, the castle traditionally belonged to the Earl of Warwick, and it served as a symbol of his power. The castle was taken in 1153 by Henry of Anjou, later Henry II. It has been used to hold prisoners, including some from the Battle of Poitiers in the 14th century. Under the ownership of Richard Neville – also known as "Warwick the Kingmaker" – Warwick Castle was used in the 15th century to imprison the English king, Edward IV. Since its construction in the 11th century, the castle has undergone structural changes with additions of towers and redesigned residential buildings. Originally a wooden motte-and-bailey, it was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century. During the Hundred Years War, the facade opposite the town was refortified, resulting in one of the most recognisable examples of 14th century military architecture. In the 17th century the grounds were turned into a garden. The castle's defences were enhanced in the 1640s to prepare the castle for action in the English Civil War. Robert Greville, 2nd Baron Brooke, was a Parliamentarian, and Royalist forces laid siege to the castle. Warwick Castle withstood the siege and was later used to hold prisoners taken by the Parliamentarians. The Tussauds Group purchased Warwick Castle in 1978 and opened it as a tourist attraction.
While there, you will be able to take a look around the grand interiors of the castle, as well as enjoy a tour of the beautiful Victorian Rose Garden or the Peacock Garden. You can even witness the world’s largest siege machine, try armed combat with the Warwick Warriors, or learn the skills of an archer.

Visit the official website (click here) and find out more about the concert venue.

Belcanto's performance venue for June 30 at 6 pm: Chapel of St. Ann in Panenské Břežany

The beautiful Chapel of St. Ann was built by architect Jan Blažej Santini Aichel in the 18th century. It is the Incantato performance venue for Belcanto on June 30 at 6 pm. The chapel is based on circles crossing each other in intricate ways. The organ is precious and can be used for concerts.
Jan Blažej Santini Aichel (February 3, 1677 - December 7, 1723) was a Czech architect of Italian descent, whose major works represent a curious amalgam of the Gothic and Baroque styles. Santini was born in Prague to a family of stonemasons. His grandfather Antonin Aichel moved from Italy to Prague in the 30th of the 17th century. Borromini's influence is apparent in his predilection for star-shaped forms and complex symbolism. Many of his buildings are airy and elegant, yet he was considered a maverick genius by his contemporaries and exerted little influence on subsequent generations of Bohemian architects.


The Washington Women's Chorus performs at St. Bartholomew’s Church in Dublin on June 29 at 7.30 pm

The beautiful church of St Bartholomew's (Clyde Road, Dublin) was consecrated in 1867. Many of its original features are intact, such as the sanctuary mosaics and the elaborate wrought iron choir screen. The architect was Thomas Wyat. On June 29 at 7.30 pm, St. Bartholomew's church is going to be the concert venue for the Washington Women's Chorus under the direction of Donald P. Richardson.
The church is celebrated for its fine music. The choir of boys and men, the only remaining all-male parish church choir in the country, generally sings at least one of the choral services each Sunday during term-time. The remainder are sung by the girls’ choir (formed five years ago and now playing an increasingly prominent role in the church’s regular worship as well as undertaking a program of regular concerts and joint events around the city and country), the Elgin Chorale (which sings during choir vacations) and the newly formed chamber choir the Clyde Chorale. The choirs’ repertoire is fully representative of the major styles of choral music from the sixteenth century up to the present day. With its superb acoustic, splendid organ and convenient location, Saint Bartholomew’s is becoming more widely known as an excellent concert venue.
The organ was built in 1887 by Gray & Davison. Rebuilt in 1925, it was then left largely unaltered until 1963 when another firm, J. W. Walker & Sons Ltd, undertook a major restoration. The organ was last rebuilt by Trevor Crowe of Dublin in 2002. The first radio broadcast of an organ recital at the church was made in 1935.

The Carolina International Chorale & String Ensemble concertize at the Stiftskirche at the Abbey of Göttweig (Austria) on June 29 at 7:30 pm

The Benedictine Abbey of Goettweig, situated on the Göttweig Mountain, is - because of its location - sometimes called the Austrian Montecassino. The Monastery founded in 1083 by Saint Altmann sits on a hill 449 m above sea level in the Dunkelsteiner Forest south oft the city of Krems, on the eastern edge of the world-famous Danube Valley called the Wachau. With the Wachau, Göttweig was in 2001 placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. And on June 29 the Carolina International Chorale will be performing in the prestigious Stiftskirche pictured below.

Goettweig Abbey by Herr Specht.

At first, Augustines worked here, to be followed in 1094 by Benedictine monks from the Monastery of St. Blasien in the Black Forest. The Benedictines have been living, learning and teaching on Göttweig Mountain for more than 900 years. The goal of their life is to glorify God in prayer and work according to the Rule of their Order’s founder, Saint Benedict, the Patron Saint of Europe. Currently 54 monks belong to the monastic community. More than 30 of them give pastoral care to parishioners and pilgrims in the Dioceses of Vienna and St. Pölten.Forestry and viticulture have been the economic basis of the Monastery since it was founded - today completed by various touristic and economic efforts. For more information, visit the official website Benediktiner Stift Goettweig

Singing to Heaven - The Cornelia Connelly Ensembles perform on June 29 at 1 pm at Great St. Mary’s Church in Cambridge

Under the direction of Brian Dehn, the Cornelia Connelly School Advanced Women’s Ensemble and Handbell Ensemble from Anaheim perform at Great St. Mary’s Church in Cambridge on Tuesday, June 29 at 1 pm. There has been a church on the site since at least 1200 and the present building dates from the late 15th century.
In addition to being a parish church in the Diocese of Ely, it is the University Church for the University of Cambridge. As such it has a minor role in the University's legislation: for example, University Officers must live within 20 miles of Great St Mary's, and undergraduates within three. The church also hosts University Sermons, and houses the University Organ and the University Clock. The latter chimes the Cambridge Chimes which were later used by the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament ("Big Ben").
Many notable sermons have been preached from Great St Mary’s pulpit down the centuries. Many of the great names from the Reformation have addressed the Great St Mary’s congregation including Latimer, Ridley, Bray, etc. The Reformation theologian Martin Bucer was buried in the church, but his body was dug up and burnt during the reign of Queen Mary. However a memorial plaque marks the place of his tomb.
St Mary the Great is unusual in housing two self-contained pipe organs, one for the 'regular' congregation, and the other the 'University Organ'. The latter was originally purchased in 1698, but heavily rebuilt until the current version was completed in 1870. The organ was extensively restored in 1995 resulting in its rededication in January 1996.


The Washington Women's Chorus concertizes at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin on Monday, June 28, at 1 pm

The Washington Women's Chorus will sing twice in the Irish capital to conclude its 2010 Ireland Performance Tour. The first of two Dublin concerts is at beautiful St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, the largest church in Ireland, on Monday, June 28 at 1 pm.
Built in honour of Ireland’s patron saint, Saint Patrick’s Cathedral stands adjacent to the famous well where tradition has it Saint Patrick baptized converts on his visit to Dublin. A church was built on this site in 1191 and in 1991 they celebrated 800 years of worship. The present building dates from 1220 and during the years it had been extended again and again.
The Cathedral is today the National Cathedral for the Church of Ireland (Anglican). The basis of the present building was built between 1191 and 1270, though little now remains of the earliest work beyond the Baptistry. Much of the work was overseen by Henry of London, a friend of the King of England and signatory of the Magna Carta, who was also involved in the construction of Dublin's city walls and Dublin Castle. The tower (Minot's Tower) and west nave were rebuilt between 1362 and 1370, following a fire. In 1560, one of Dublin's first public clocks was erected in "St. Patrick's Steeple".
Throughout its long history the cathedral has contributed much to Irish life, and one key aspect of this relates to the writer and satirist Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels, who was Dean of the cathedral from 1713 to 1745. Swift took a great interest in the building, its services and music and in what would now be called social welfare, funding an almshouse for poor women and Saint Patrick's Hospital.
The Choir School, which had been founded in 1432, supplied many of its members to take part in the very first performance of Handel's Messiah in 1742. It continues and although originally all-male, now also admits girls; a Cathedral Girls' Choir was founded in 2000 and sings once or twice a week. The Organ of St. Patrick's Cathedral is one of the largest in Ireland with over 4,000 pipes. Parts of it date from a Renatus Harris instrument of 1695. It was restored in the 1890s and in 1963.

Belcanto performs at Church of St. Havel in Chlumec u Ústí nad Labem on Monday, June 28, at 5 pm - Exchange concert!

Incantato Tours proudly presents the Belcanto concert venue for Monday, June 28 at 5 pm: Kostel s. Havla (Church of St. Havel) in Chlumec u Ústí nad Labem. And it's not only the church that makes the performance on that day special: The performers under the direction of Bruce Koliha are going to meet and sing with the local choir, "Chlumecky pevecky sbor". Concert Manager for Central Europe, Karolina, connected with the local choir and their director for a special exchange and concert in 2007, and a friendship started between the group and several of us at Incantato. In 2009, the Chlumec Choir visited the US and the choir they had hosted - now for 2010, they invited the Monte Vista High School Choir to visit them and their families. To learn more about the choir, please click here.
Today's Church of St. Havel was built on the site of an older Gothic church, around the year 1359. In 1590 it was rebuilt in Baroque style. 1813 the church was damaged and some years later rebuilt again. In the tower there is a beautiful bell (1687) designed by Nicholas Loew. Inside you can also find historic Renaissance tombs of the noble family Kölbl von Geising. The organ dates from the year 1852.


The Cornelia Connelly Travelers perform at Farm Street Church of the Immaculate Conception, London, on June 27 at 6:15 pm

On Sunday, June 27 at 6:15 pm, the Cornelia Connelly School Advanced Women’s Ensemble and Handbell Ensemble from Anaheim under the direction of Brian Dehn will perform at Farm Street Church of the Immaculate Conception, London. Here is some information about the beautiful Incantato concert venue:

Farm Street, the Jesuit church in the Mayfair district of London, has a special place in the hearts of many people, Catholics and non-Catholics alike. For over a hundred and fifty years it has served a community drawn to this church by its reputation for spiritual and intellectual vigour. Many have regularly travelled some distance to worship in this church and to seek the help and advice of the succeeding generations of priests who have served here. After Catholic emancipation in 1829, when the position of Catholics in England became easier, a plan was conceived on a bold and imaginative scale for a permanent Jesuit church in London. It showed extraordinary vision and courage on the part of the Superior of the English Jesuits, Fr Randal Lythgoe, to have a church built to seat as many as 900 people.
In the 1840s, the Jesuits first began looking for a location for their London church, they found this site in a quiet back street. (The name derived from Hay Hill Farm which extended in the 18 th century from the present Hill Street eastward across Berkeley Square and beyond). This church was opened in 1849 and it was from the start a place of beauty. There have been changes in the adornment of the building and although it has expanded (through the addition of the side-altars and their chapels) the impact is much the same. Generous benefactors made it possible for Farm Street church to become a gracious and peaceful place in the 19th and 20th century.
From 1849 until 1966 it was simply a Jesuit church, open to the public but not the centre of worship for a parish. Sacraments such as marriage and baptism could not be celebrated in the church and the reputation of Farm Street rested on the pulpit and the confessionals. It became famous for the work of many Jesuit priests whose guidance given to those seeking advice gently led many to embrace the Catholic faith. Since 1966 the church has been at the heart of a parish in the centre of Mayfair. The Jesuit community here has always consisted of Priests and Brothers attached specifically to the church, working in other apostolates or in retirement. The Parish is more than a geographic one, attracting its congregation not only from all over London and its surrounds but visitors from all over the world.
The pictures are from the official website.

Mass participation at Catedral de Sevilla: CSUSB & MMC sing at 11 AM on Sunday, June 27

On June 27 at 11 am there is a special highlight waiting for the travelers from California. Under the direction of Andrew Crane, CSUSB San Bernardino Chamber Singers and Mountainside Master Chorale will perform during mass at Catedral de Sevilla. This is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. Did you know that the cathedral serves as the burial site of Christopher Columbus? The cathedral was built to demonstrate Seville's wealth, as it had become a major trading center in the years after the Reconquista. The builders of the cathedral decided in July 1401 to build a new temple, as the ancient Muslim mosque was in bad shape after the 1356 earthquake. According to the oral tradition of Seville, the decision of members of the chapter was: "Let a church so beautiful and so great that those who see it built will think we were mad". Construction began in 1402 on the site of a former mosque, following the capture of Seville from the Moors; it continued until 1506. Church workers gave half their salaries to pay for architects, builders and other expenses. Five years after construction ended, in 1511, the dome collapsed and work on the cathedral re-commenced. The dome again collapsed in 1888, and work was still being performed on the dome until at least 1903. The 1888 collapse occurred due to an earthquake and resulted in the destruction of "every precious object below" the dome at that time.
The interior has the longest nave in Spain. Its central nave rises to a height of 42 metres and is lavishly decorated, with a large quantity of gold evident. In the main body of the cathedral, only the great boxlike structure of the choir stands out, filling the central portion of the nave. It is also dominated by a vast Gothic retablo of carved scenes from the life of Christ. The altarpiece was the lifetime work of a single craftsman, Pierre Dancart. The builders used some columns and elements from the mosque, and most famously the Giralda, a minaret converted into a bell tower. The Giralda is the city's most famous symbol. It was built as a minaret of the old mosque, although the bell tower and spire top, is Renaissance.

CSUSB & MMC are the featured guest choirs for High Mass at Iglesia Colegial Divino Salvador in Sevilla on June 27 at 8 pm

The Iglesia Colegial Divino Salvador in Sevilla is the concert venue for CSUSB San Bernardino Chamber Singers and Mountainside Master Chorale on Sunday, June 27, at 8 pm. The Roman Catholic church is known as the Church of the Savior and located at the Plaza del Salvador. It's the largest church in the city, not counting the cathedral. It is a 17th century church in Baroque style. It has a rectangular plan with 3 naves. Its vaults are of the barrel and cross types. Inside, the dome, the main reredos and the sacramental chapel are outstanding. It also has the carvings of 'Jesús de la Pasión', the work of Martínez Montañés, and 'El Cristo del Amor' by Juan de Mena. Prior to the church there was a Roman temple, a Palaeochristian, Visigothic and Mozarab basilica, and, in the 11th century, the great mosque of Seville on this site. You can still see the Courtyard of the Ablutions and the Minaret (now a bell tower) of the great mosque. Click here to get to the website (in Spanish).


Belcanto: Choir vesper performance at the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche on June 27 at 6 pm

On Sunday, June 27 at 6 pm the Belcanto singers will have their second performance of their 2010 Performance Tour to Central Europe at the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche in Berlin, Germany.

The Protestant Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (in German: Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche) is located on the Kurfürstendamm in the center of the Breitscheidplatz. The original church on the site was built in the 1890s. It was badly damaged in a bombing raid in 1943. The present building, which consists of a church with an attached foyer and a separate belfry with an attached chapel, was built between 1959 and 1963. The damaged spire of the old church has been retained and its ground floor has been made into a memorial hall.
The foundation stone for the old church was laid on March 22, 1891. The competition for the design was won by Franz Schwechten who planned for a large church to be built in neo-romanesque style, including 2,740 square meters of wall mosaic. The spire was 113 meters (370' and 8.81") in stature and the nave seated over 2,000 people. The church was consecrated on September 1, 1895. By this time of the consecration the entrance hall in the lower section had not been completed. This was opened and consecrated on February 22, 1906. In the Second World War, on the night of November 23, 1943, the church was irreparably damaged in an air raid. The church was largely destroyed but part of the spire and much of the entrance hall survived. The entrance hall in the base of the damaged spire was reopened to visitors, having been consecrated on 7 January 1987.
Its floor contains a mosaic of the Archangel Michael fighting the dragon. The vault shows a procession of Hohenzollern princes, early and more recent. Other mosaics show important monarchs in medieval Germany, Reformation thinkers and Reformation princes. Bas-relief sculptures illustrate scenes from biblical stories, scenes from the life of Kaiser Wilhelm I and symbolic figures representing war and peace. In the north apse are 16 display panels which tell the story of the old church and its destruction. At the opposite end of the hall are three items which symbolize the history of the church. In the middle is a damaged statue of Christ which originally stood on the altar of the old church. To its right is the Cross of Nails which was made from nails in the roof timbers of Coventry Cathedral. This cathedral had been severely damaged in a German air raid on 14 November 1940. To the left of the statue of Christ is an icon cross which was given by the Russian Orthodox Church and handed over in 1988. Outside the hall are four sandstone figures made by Stefan Kaehne.

The pictures are from the official website of the church.


Washington Women's Chorus sings at St. Augustine’s Church in Cork on June 26 at 7.30 pm

On Saturday, June 26, at 7.30 pm the Washington Women's Chorus sings at St. Augustine’s Church in Cork (Ireland). The Augustinians, the Order of St. Augustine, owe their origins to Saint Augustine (354-430 AD), from Hippo in Algeria, who inspired men and women to live in religious communities.
By the 13th century many different Augustinian communities existed and in 1256 Pope Alexander IV created the Grand Union of all existing Augustinian Congregations to form what we know today as the Order of St. Augustine.
The Order of St. Augustine came to Cork some time between 1270 and 1300. As the Augustinian historian, Fr. Thomas C. Butler OSA writes: "If we take 1272 as a date of petition for approval to open a foundation in Cork, it would have taken some years for the planning and building so we can safely assume that the latter took place between 1275 and 1285.
The Priory was dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, but was recorded on ancient maps as St. Austin's 1545 and St. Augustine's 1610. Later still it became known as the "Red Abbey" because of the red sandstone used in the church. The Towers were added after the middle of the 14th century.
The Red Abbey was raided in 1630, but the friars, forewarned, had fled. This was a short lived closure and the friars were back again, until 1644 when all priests and friars were expelled from the city, and the Red Abbey was taken over by the protestant Dean of Cork, Richard Boyle.Lady Fanshawe leased the Red Abbey, but had to leave when Cromwell came in 1649, and stabled his horses in the building.
Returns on the State of Popery for 1766 give "a friary - Augustinian - in Fishamble Lane. It was located where a side entrance leads into the Franciscan church. Formerly Mill St, the site of the church is shown on De Rocque's map of 1759.
In 1776 the friars were living in an old tottering house, with an old tottering chapel nearby. They started to look for a suitable site and ran into difficulty with the bishop of Cork. The friary in Fishamble Lane was in the parish of St. Finbar's, and the new site was in SS Peter and Paul's.In 1778 the Augustinians chose a site on Brunswick St, at the time within the South Parish. Again the Bishop objected, but the Augustinians decided to go ahead with a chapel and dwelling in Brunswick St. now known as St. Augustine's Lane. The community was suspended by the Bishop. The case was taken to Rome.
A decision was given in favour of the friars, with a command to the bishop to bless and open the church when completed. The first stone was laid on November 27th 1780. The Bishop complied with the mandate from the Holy See, and he blessed the new church on June 4th 1781, and he restored the Prior and community to the jurisdiction of the diocese.
The church was extended in 1872 and the Priory built on Washington St, known then as Great George St. The present church structure was built in 1942 and furthered extended in 1972. The Priory was rebuilt in 1982.

CIC concert at Chapel of St. Ann in Panenské Brezany (Czech Republic) on June 26 at 6 pm

The beautiful Chapel of St. Ann was built by architect Jan Blažej Santini Aichel in the 18th century - and it will be the CIC concert venue on June 26! The chapel is based on circles crossing each other in intricate ways. The organ is precious and can be used for concerts.
Jan Blažej Santini Aichel (February 3, 1677 - December 7, 1723) was a Czech architect of Italian descent, whose major works represent a curious amalgam of the Gothic and Baroque styles. Santini was born in Prague to a family of stonemasons. His grandfather Antonin Aichel moved from Italy to Prague in the 30th of the 17th century. Borromini's influence is apparent in his predilection for star-shaped forms and complex symbolism. Many of his buildings are airy and elegant, yet he was considered a maverick genius by his contemporaries and exerted little influence on subsequent generations of Bohemian architects.


Quire of Voyces in Naples: "Tu es Petrus"

Quire of Voyces in Naples: "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child" by...

First Carolina International Chorale and String Ensemble Tour Concert at St. Nicholas Church in Prague on June 25, at 2 pm

The Church of St. Nicholas on the Old Town Square in Prague is the venue for the first CIC 2010 Performance Tour to Central Europe concert. The Carolina International Chorale and String Ensemble present an afternoon concert at this beautiful baroque church on Friday, June 25, at 2 pm.
The construction on St. Nicholas was completed in 1735. It replaced a parish church, mentioned in records dating back as early as 1273. It wasn't until 1901, when the Krenn House was demolished, that its lovely white façade became visible to the rest of the Old Town Square. It simply gleams, hit by the sun during the day and lit by strong white lights at night. St. Nicholas is a Baroque church, decorated with sculptures by Antonín Braun. The interior design was inspired by the chapel of St. Louis-des-invalides in Paris. The delicate stucco decoration was executed by Bernardo Spinetti, and the frescos are by Peter Adam the Elder. In 1781 decoration inside St. Nicholas was removed after emperor Josef II ordered the closure of all monasteries without a social function.From 1870-1914 St. Nicholas became Russian Orthodox. Then, during the second World War, Czech army units were stationed here and artists were set to work restoring the church. After the war, St. Nicholas was handed over to the Czech Hussite movement, with whom it remains today. It now serves as both a church and a magnificent venue for classical concerts.

June 25, 8 PM: CSUSB & MMC perform at Conservatorio Superior de Música Manuel Castillo in Sevilla

Incantato Tours proudly presents your performance venue for Friday, June 25, at 8 PM: Conservatorio Superior de Música Manuel Castillo in Sevilla. To visit the Spanish website, please click here. The building dates back to the 14th century. Since 2001 it hosts the Conservatorio and the School of Dramatic Art.

Belcanto performs at the Church of St. Anthony in Poznań on June 25 at 7.15 pm

Incantato proudly presents the Belcanto performance venue for Friday, June 25, 7.15 pm: the Church of St. Anthony in Poznań. Here is some information about this special venue:
The conventuals (black friars) settled in Poznań in the 17th century. The church was commissioned from Jan Koński and built atop Castle Hill (presently Przemysł Hill) in the years 1674-1757. The monastery was erected in the years 1672-1749 east of the church but it was partly dismantled after the suppression of the order in 1834; only the north part survived to the present day. In the 19th century the church was given to German Catholics by the Prussian authorities. The black friars returned in 1921. Heavily damaged in the war, the church was renovated in 1945. It is a basilica with the nave flanked by two aisles that stop at two chapels; there is also a chapel in the west aisle and a gallery over three bays in both aisles. The presbytery and the nave are covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, the aisles are groin vaulted whereas the chapel adjoining the west aisle is sail vaulted. Both chapels at the end of the aisles have domes with lanterns. The church is lavishly decorated with stucco-work and the polychrome decoration from around 1702 is the work of the Franciscan monk Adam Swach.
The nave is adjoined by two square chapels covered with domes and topped by lanterns. The Chapel of Mother of God was built in 1681 and it features the miraculous painting of Mother of God, Our Lady of Poznań. It is a copy of the miraculous painting from the Sanctuary of Our Mother of Consolation from Borek - Zdzież.


St. Mary's Church of Ireland - The Washington Women's Chorus performance venue on June 24 at 8 pm

Incantato Tours & Concerts proudly presents the Washington Women's Chorus performance venue for Thursday, June 24 at 8 pm: St. Mary’s Church of Ireland in Killarney.

St. Mary’s Church of Ireland in Killarney is a Roman Catholic cathedral in County Kerry, Republic of Ireland. The diocese of Kerry, or Ardfert and Ahadoe as it is sometimes called, was ruled by vicars apostolic from the mid-16th century until the early 18th century, with the exception of a brief few years in the 1640s. The 18th century Bishops of Kerry resided at Dingle, Kilcummin, Tuogh, Listowel and Tralee, from 1720 until 1775. In the latter years Bishop Francis Moylan (1775-87) established the see at Killarney.
Before the construction of Killarney cathedral there was a small chapel in Chapel Lane, of which the font survives in the baptistery of the present cathedral. The idea of building a cathedral was started by Fr. Joseph O'Sullivan, curate of Dingle, who roused the enthusiasm of Bishop Cornelius Egan (1824-1856) and the 2nd Earl of Kenmare (1788-1853), a local Catholic landowner.

CSUSB & MMC start their Spain Performance Tour with a concert at Iglesia de San Ginés in Madrid on June 24, at 7:30 PM

On Thursday, June 24, at 7:30 PM the CSUSB & MMC choirs from California start their Spain Performance Tour 2010 with a concert under the direction of Andrew Crane at the beautiful Iglesia de San Ginés in Madrid. The church is one of the oldest churches in that city. It is situated on the Calle Arenal. References to it appear in documents dating from the ninth century. Originally built in Mudéjar style, it was rebuilt in 1645.
The church is preceded by an atrium enclosed by railings. It has a Latin cross plan, with a nave and two aisles separated by semicircular arches and several side chapels and the altarpieces belong to the Neoclassical-Romantic school. It was, however, totally reconstructed after suffering several fires, so few remnants of the original church, such as the bell-tower, remain. In 1870, the loggia and atrium facing the Calle Arenal were added. In the Santísimo Cristo Chapel there are artworks by Alonso Cano, Luca Giordano and el Greco.