Phoenix Girls Chorus sings at Salzburger Dom

The Phoenix Girls Chorus' prime ensemble "Cantabile" will sing at the Salzburg Cathedral also known as Salzburger Dom in the city of Salzburg, Austria as part of their Incantato Tour to Germany and Austria. The 32 girls under the direction of Ms. Danya Tiller are presenting a recital on Wednesday, June 20 at 2 pm.

Located where Residenzplatz flows into Domplatz in Salzburg, Salzburg Cathedral (also known as Domkirche St. Rupert) is renowned for its harmonious Baroque architecture and 4,000-pipe organ. This site has hosted a Christian church since 774. The original was replaced with a late-Romanesque structure built in 1181-1200.The Romanesque cathedral burned down in 1598 and Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich took advantage of (some would say caused) the destruction to demolish the rest and make plans for a grand new cathedral to reaffirm Salzburg's commitment to the Catholic cause in the face of the Reformation. However, Dietrich's overthrow prevented the completion of this project. The present cathedral was commissioned by Archbishop Markus Sittikus Count Hohenems and designed by the Italian architect Santino Solari. It was consecrated in 1628 by Archbishop Paris Count Lodron. The cathedral's plaza is a complete aesthetic concept and one of Salzburg's most beautiful urban set pieces. In the center rises the Virgin's Column with a 1771 statue of the Virgin Mary. Considered by some to be the most perfect Renaissance building in the German-speaking countries, Salzburg Cathedral has a marble facade, twin west towers topped with green domes and a large green-roofed dome over the crossing. The bronze doors (1959) illustrate the themes of Faith, Hope, and Love. Near the entrance, look for the Romanesque font at which Mozart was baptized. The great composer later served as organist here from 1779 to 1781. Some of his compositions, such as the Coronation Mass, were written for the cathedral, and many were performed here for the first time.